BALLENARTE FESTIVAL 2014
DURATION: 4 DAYS
DATE: 8 TO 11 OF JANUARY 2014
To mark the start of the whale season, the environmental group “Ecology and Conservation of Whales A.C.” (ECOBAC) announces the first Whale (“Ballenarte”) Festival, which will be held January 8-11, 2014. This event will take place in Puerto Vallarta in our beautiful Banderas Bay, which is visited every year by humpback whales and other marine mammals.
The objective of this event is to contribute to the protection and conservation of natural resources in Mexico, and especially the humpback whale in Banderas Bay. It also seeks to encourage the exchange of knowledge and information to benefit the conservation and protection of species among the general population.
In this 1st Ballenarte Conservation Festival, attendees will enjoy a boat parade, photo exhibition, conferences, documentaries, bike rally, fundraising dinner and much more.
DAY 1) WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 8, 2014
1. 5:00 pm Boat parade of authorized vessels for whale watching (Jalisco and Nayarit states) and opening ceremony at the Los Muertos Pier. Sponsored by Ecotours de México and Zaragoza Marine
2. 6:30 pm Tour Operator Awards for best behavior and navegation practices during the whale watching, involving conservation and protection of the humpback whale.
3. Unfurling of the human blue whale painting (32x12mts) by the internationally famous photographer, Patricio Robles Gil, at the Juarez parking area facing the sea.
4. Dinner with a cause at Restaurante NU and Café Des Artistes.
DAY 2) THURSDAY, JANUARY 9, 2014
5. 20% Ballenarte Discount on whale watching tours in the morning.
6. 6:30pm conference on the Humpback Whale and the Banderas Bay Projects, Given by Biologist Astrid Frisch Jordán, at Hotel Secrets Resorts & Spas. Event sponsored by Timon Tours.
7. 7:30pm Photographic and Artistic Exhibition on Whales
8. 6:30 pm Showing of the Oasis Marino (Marine Oasis) documentary about the Gulf of California at Jardín del Pulpo (Octupus Garden Café), Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nay
9. Dinner with a cause at Restaurante NU and Café Des Artistes.
DAY 3) FRIDAY, JANUARY 10, 2014
THE PROYECTION OF OASIS MARINO DOCUMENTARY SCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY 10 IN MANTAMAR HAD TO BE CANCELED FOR REASONS BEYOND OUR CONTROL. IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT YOU CAN GO ON THURSDAY 9 TO JARDIN DEL PULPO (Coral #66) IN LA CRUZ DE HUANACAXTLE AT 6:30PM
10. 20% Ballenarte discount on whale watching tours with participating tour operators from the boat parade.
11. 6:30pm Showing of the Oasis Marino (Marine Oasis) documentary about the Sea of Cortez at MANTAMAR BEACH CLUB BAR & GRILL. Introduction by Dr. Luis Medrano, Director of the Marine Mammals Program at UNAM University.
12. 6:30pm Humpback Whale Conference at Los Arroyos Verdes, Bucerías, Nayarit, given by the Biologist Roberto Moncada, ITBB, Marine Mammals Investigative Group.
13. Dinner with a cause at Restaurante NU and Café Des Artistes.
DAY 4) SATURDAY, JANUARY 11, 2014
14. 8:00am Bicycle Rally at Marina Vallarta, starting signal at the whale sculpture. Event Sponsored by Golozo´s Bike.
15. 11:00am At the end of the race, the children will use their bodies to make the shape of a life-sized humpback whale, and a picture will be taken of the (children) human humpback whale from El Faro (The Lighthouse) at Marina Vallarta.
16. 7:00pm a 11:00pm Benefit Dinner Fiesta Mexicana at Lázaro Cárdenas Park. EEvent Sponsored by Asociación Vallarta Centro.
17. 9:00pm Raffle for all those who attend the closing ceremony.
18. Closure of the Festival with dignitaries from conservation circles.