At ECOBAC we try to always involve the local community in our work, not just by informing locals of our different projects and programs, but also by inviting them to be part of our work. This is why we are always open to receive volunteers. We have had so many great volunteer experiences, and without a doubt the most positive outcome of the program is that we have met really committed and inspired people, eager to support the noble cause of the conservation of our marine environment, especially the whales.
We would like to take this opportunity to officially thank our past teams of volunteers, and to welcome the new ones.
Join our team of volunteers, you will not regret it!
- Learn about the research, protection and conservation programs in Banderas Bay.
- Gain experience and turn yourself into an expert of whale photo-identification, a unique and sought-after skill!
A unique passion!
You will require
- Good eyesight
- To be available for an extended period (three months minimum, two to three days per week)
DIFUSION AND ENVIROMENTAL EDUCATION
1. Working alongside “Kuikani” our special life-size inflatable whale calf, you will be promoting the campaign “I Care for the Whales”, in the exhibition module of ECOBAC, mainly by providing information about good navigation practices during the whale season.
- Distributing flyers about the Mexican whale watching regulations (the NOM-131-SEMARNAT-2010) and the campaign “I Care for the Whales” in the marinas of La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nuevo Vallarta, Vallarta, Muelles Los Peines and OPEQUIMAR fuel station.
- Schedule: Mornings and afternoons, mainly from 10:00 am to 1;00pm with the “Ballenometro”, a specially adapted “whale” traffic light, to inform the local community and visiting tourists about which marine activities are beneficial, indifferent or harmful for the whales.
- Environmental education in schools and libraries. Educating children about marine mammal diversity and caring for the environment, via educational games and interactive modules.
You need to be:
- Young adults/adults who are enthusiastic and committed (we need several volunteers to cover the three marinas and other boarding points).
- Bilingual (50%).
- Eager to learn and to work well as part of a team.
- Available from November until March (whale season).
Promotion of ecotourism and sustainable development
Join us in one or more outings at sea for the campaign of “Information, Prevention, Vigilance and Monitoring of Humpback Whales in Banderas Bay”.
The work includes:
- IInform the boats that are engaged in whale watching about correct whale watch practices.
- Provide information about the best ways to reduce the risk of an accident during whale watch activities.
- Insure boats engaged in whale watching do not interfere with and/or affect the natural behavior of the whales.
- Monitor the number of boats engaged in whale watching activities.
- To be part of the whale monitoring in the region, taking data and supporting the ongoing research projects.
- Previous participation in educational environment projects.
- 70% Bilingual (Spanish and English)
- Availability from December to March, especially on the weekends, winter vacations and special holiday periods.
What is the aim of this work?
- To promote the good navigation practices, to prevent harassment of the whales during their breeding season.
- To make sure that the owners and captains of boats are informed about the Mexican whale watching regulations, and correct practices around whales.
- To ensure that tourists know how to recognize a boat that is authorized to whale watch.
- To encourage tourists to support ECOBAC’s work in spreading information about good navigation practices around whales.
- To let tourists and locals know that everyday activities can affect the whales and their habitat.
- To ensure that people have a good impression of the region as a whale watch destination.
We also hope to gain donors and supporters.
What do we offer?
- An opportunity to learn about whales and how to protect them.
- An opportunity to contribute to the conservation of our marine environment.
- A uniform (t-shirt, different styles depending on the project).
- A certificate of participation and a sticker of the project “I Care for the Whales”.
- An excellent work environment and enjoyable collaboration.
RAISING FUNDS, GRANTS AND GAINING NEW SUPPORTERS
At flea markets in Puerto Vallarta and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle we need volunteers to work at a stand selling ECOBAC products, and providing information of our work:
- The objective is to introduce ECOBAC and its work to locals and foreigners that visit the market, as well to raise funds.
- To provide information about good navigation practices and the importance to navigate with caution and to comply with the Mexican whale watching regulations.
You will need:
- To be bilingual (50%)
- Preferably mobile, with a car to move merchandise (funds for gas will be provided)
- To be available: – Thursday afternoons on Marina Vallarta – Saturday mornings, Vallarta´s downtown – Sunday mornings, Cruz de Huanacaxtle harbor
Don´t be left behind, do your little bit and be part of our campaign:
“I Care for the Whales”
For more information please go to